Thursday, July 9, 2009

Sensory Processing Disorder

For the past year I have spent hours and hours researching sensory processing disorder on the internet. I've taken courses to try and learn some new tricks, I have read every book I can get my hands on from the library. I have always had a gut feeling that this was an issue for Tomás but the light bulb really went off in my head when he was in speech therapy last fall. So I thought - I am a qualified clinician, I should be able to treat my own kid. Not a good idea...
So I finally made a few calls, found a good clinic and took him in for an evaluation. Once I got the written eval there it was in black and white - it was no longer just my gut feeling. He really does have definite sensory issues - not probable and not typical - definite. Now he will be going to OT once a week for as long as we have the cash to keep paying - oh yeah, we're paying cash. This clinic works with a listening therapy technique that I felt he would benefit from. And this time I am listening to my gut!

No comments: