Sunday, June 28, 2009

We want cake! Where's our cake?





We think birthdays are all about the cake. So when someone turned me onto a local Hawaiian bakery I thought Dave's birthday was a great time to give it a try. So I ordered a 10 inch round guava cake from Kona Kakes in Mission Valley and planned the rest of the meal around this cake. One of Dave's favorite lunches - a plate lunch from L & L Hawaiian BBQ. So I picked up an L & L family pack and we had a family lunch with guava cake and pretended we were on the islands - just for a few hours.
Hau'oli la hanau Dave! Happy Birthday!


Now, there is a story behind our love of guava cake and in particular the one from the Delight bakery on the island of Oahu. My aunt and uncle started bringing this cake back from their trips to Hawaii. Dave and I have brought it back a few times too. I think it's the excitement of hopping in a taxi and taking the 15 minute drive to the bakery and back during a 1 1/2 hour lay over before coming home. On one trip Dave picked up the cake on his way to Kona to surprise me when I arrived to meet him a few days later. It's mmmmm good.

No comments: